Monday, April 28, 2008

MEE ARANG PAYA JARAS & PAKCIK MULTI-LINGUAL

No, the mee arang is not black in colour. Mee arang is an Achenese hawker dish cooked with coal - people have been known to insist that anything cooked with coal tastes better. My son Harris and I decided to try Mee Arang that one day when we were waiting for my husband to show up from work. It is quite unique, at least to me, as it is rather different from the mee goreng Mamak that I'm used to. Try it for yourself, I'm scared that I will not be able to do the dish justice by trying to describe it here.

The second time we decided to have the Mee Arang at the shop at the corner in Paya Jaras (near the Pasar Malam), a Pakcik, in his late eighties joined us as the table. He was not eating, he was just resting after a shopping spree at the Pasar Malam. We exchanged smiles but did not say anything - he smiled back and I immediately thought of Iyaz, our seven year old who is starting to loose his milk teeth, so sweet and innocent was the smile, straight from the heart. When our mee arang came, my husband did the usual "Makan, Pakcik...". Pakcik replied with the usual, "Sila, sila...", then, he launched off and did not stop talking for about an hour.

He spoke of his travels all over Malaysia, his experiences, his acquired wisdom throughout his life, his children, his grandchilden, his recent cataract operation and his multi-racial friends. We were in the mood, so he had our undivided attention. [I'm tired, I'll continue later...]

1 comment:

laily said...

Asalamualaikum
Hmm, mee arang sounds interesting, may be I would try it some time but going all the way to paya jaras have to think about it again.